…… Why think ye EVIL in your hearts ? ? (Matthew 9:4)
Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity EVERY THOUGHT to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5)
If we really analysed every thought as to it’s SOURCE and EFFECT…. certainly we would toss out a lot more thoughts and consequently make progress in our Christian life…. we would also manifest the fruit of the spirit more continuously… and this would enhance our physical well-being as well as our spiritual state.
The unrighteous heathen believe all their thoughts are “theirs”…. therefore it is so easy for them to be controlled by demons….. they dont even know that they are being controlled !
Even the Christian lapses into thinking thoughts that do not originate with the Holy Spirit of God ….. on numerous occasions.
So just HOW do we CONTROL our thoughts ?
1. Receive the gift of the Holy Spirit because he enables us to have the POWER (ability) to CONTROL our thoughts… and every other area of our lives also.
2. Decide that you actually WANT to control your thoughts (and make them pleasing to God)…. and then actually attempt to do it…. by MONITORING what you are thinking about and REPLACING bad thoughts with good ones.
3. ASK God to bring to your attention when your thoughts are not right.
4. REPLACE the thoughts (that he brings to your attention) with other “purer” thoughts.
POINTS to NOTE are:
1. You cannot think about “nothing” for any length of time…. so it is important to replace the bad thoughts with good thoughts IMMEDIATELY. (Philippians 4:8)
2. This is a life-long process… as long as you are living, you are thinking…. you are bound to slip-up on many occasions…. sometimes the Holy Spirit convicts us in our spirit AFTER we have thought the thought, said the words or done the deed…. and we might wonder WHY He did not bring it to our attention BEFORE (as He has done on many previous occasions…. assuming that we have living this way for some time).
We are free-agents… given by God, the right of free-will…. the demons are not permitted to JAM (force or override our thoughts) our minds (otherwise we would all be madmen) and the Holy Spirit does not jam our minds either…. so if we are thinking about something fairly intensely, neither the Holy Spirit or the demons can “pass any thoughts” to us until a “window of opportunity” arises “between one thought and another”.
Of course, to clarify, let me say that the demons are limited (as created beings) and the Holy Spirit can do ANYTHING (has no limitation)….. however, except in rare case of our most imminent DANGER, the Holy Spirit would not normally “violate” our normal thinking processes anymore than He would overturn the normal physical laws in the material Universe.
So, in conclusion, we have to seek and ask for the help of the Holy Spirit AND we have to be sensitive for His prompting in our minds….. if we “miss” His leading (in regard to some particular thought) and later come “under conviction”… there is no need to despair, simply confess, ask His forgiveness and carry on HAPPILY….. He knows the frailty of our minds and bodies and delights to give us another opportunity…. it is the demons who come with thoughts of defeat, despair and hopelessness because they are delighted to capitalize on such an opportunity of grief on our part.
Finally, your dreams and night’s sleep is dependent on your waking concious thought life…… if you saturate your waking life with Scripture (Psalm 77:12, Psalm 119:11) and GOOD thoughts (Philippians 4:8)….. your night’s sleep (Psalm 4:8) and your overall physical health and well-being will IMPROVE.
Prayer for Today:
Loving Heavenly Father, teach me to “walk in Your ways” and “fellowship with You”….. and please never stop shepherding me even when I foul up or fail to follow your leading in some matter or thought…. Amen