God’s dealing with humans… through Covenants… first, God makes a pronouncement of what he requires of man with respect to man’s conduct…. second man is given a time-period (or age) during which obedience (or lack of it) is tested.
1. Innocence – Genesis 1:28 – 29 – the test – Genesis 2:16 – 17
2. Conscience (Moral Responsibility) – Genesis 3:7 – The judgement for failure of innocence, the new conditions of life specified – Genesis 3:14 – 19 – the next test – Genesis 4:7
3. Human Government – the judgement for failure of conscience Genesis 6:5 -9 – the new conditions of life specified and the next test Genesis 9:2 – 7
4. Promise – the judgement on the failure of human government Genesis 11:8 – God decides to work through a specific man Abram and his offspring – Genesis 12:1 -3 the new test is FAITH and OBEDIENCE… Abram partially passes and partially fails the test…. the fail Genesis 16:1-6 causes the modern misery between Israel and Palestine…. the pass Genesis 22:15 – 18 results in the promise of Messiah though his descendents
5. Law – Genesis 19:3 – 8
6. Church – the law failed in that the Pharisees (the very embodiment of the “humanly corrupted” Law) and the masses of Abraham’s descendents crucified their Messiah – giving birth to the Church age – in which, all humans are expected to accept the atonement of Christ (which should lead to their mental rejection of their basic sinfulness) and an empowering (though the Holy Spirit) to OVERCOME the world, the flesh and the devil.
7. Kingdom – Revelation 20:4 – 6 – the final “age” of the human race before God makes the “new heaven and the new earth” Revelation chap. 21 and 22
God knew everything that was going to happen before it did…. therefore the progressive revelation of the Bible is for OUR enlightenment as the human race… to show us both what we are like and to show us what God is like.
All the tests… the failures…. both the good and the bad are recorded therein over thousands of years of human history… for all of God’s other creation…. angels, demons, principalities and powers to observe.
Truly the world is a stage…. and the human history is an unfolding DRAMA…. that testifies to the greatness of God and the frailty of man…. nevertheless, the LOVE of humans for their God and for each other is precious in His sight and of eternal significance…. long after the human race has ceased to exist (in the flesh) according to it’s present form.
Prayer for Today:
Loving Heavenly Father, let us walk our daily life in humility and holiness before You … and may we be sensitive to Your wishes and direction both today and every day…. amen.