Read Luke 8:27 – 39
This is an extreme case of demon possession, but are there not many other people functioning normally but under demon oppression ? the level of control that demons exert over a person’s life depends on various factors, but the scripture makes it plain that all the unsaved are doing the works of the devil to some degree and are in need of God’s salvation and deliverance
There is much to learn from this passage:
1. The man who was delivered by Jesus was not even considered to be a man…. he had been “written off” by all the people of the area as an “animal”…. a hopeless case.
2. Many swine were destroyed for this person to be saved…. and that must have meant economic loss for other people….. they would not be pleased by that, in fact, they would prefer their swine over the “man”… and the RSPCA would not have approved either because “such cruelty to animals”….. but the demons killed the swine so they would be free to enter other humans… they must have found many suitable persons in the town after Jesus left.
3. Jesus may have allowed the demons into the swine for several possible reasons:
a. To test the hearts of the town’s people….. a man is of more value than swine, even a despised “written off” man…. beware of the same problem occuring today where animal welfare takes priority over human welfare….. also the love of money, these swine existed to make their owners rich.
b. But they should not have been keeping swine anyway….. who were the people raising these pigs and who was going to eat the swine meat ? … swine meat is forbidden to Jews, and this area was within the borders of Israel.
4. The people begged Jesus to leave them alone and He did so…. but what a sad day it was for that town, they refused the Lord of Glory and CHOSE DARKNESS instead of the Light of Life….. even though the manifestation of evil in the delivered man was extreme, it is quite clear from the passage that the rest of the town’s people were under the grip of the devil and in need of deliverance… but they did not recognize this and deliberately chose to remain as they were.
4. But Jesus left a witness in that town…. by refusing to allow the saved man to join His disciples that town still heard the message of God from one of their own.
Can you see the great truths of this passage are still relevant to Christians TODAY ?
1. First of all, our warped sense of priorities…. even in Christian circles… we “write off” certain people as “hopeless”…. neither praying for them nor making any attempt to help them.
2. We prefer animals…. money….. all sorts of things over the salvation of the “worst” people…. because these people are just not as important to us as they are to God.
3. Notice the radical change in the man…. nothing superficial about this man’s salvation… “unto whom much is forgiven, the same will love more” (Luke 7:40 – 48)…. the desire of the “saved” man to be with the Lord….. but it was not His will at that time…. when a person is saved today, the natural tendency is to want to serve the Lord in some great capacity BUT this may not be His will…… for many Christians their “mission field” may be their workplace, school or home and God may simply expect them to be faithful right were they are….. and indeed, somtimes, it may be harder to live for Him among your friends than going to some strange land with the Gospel.
How about you ? is today your day to meet the Lord Jesus ? do not send Him away as they did because the darkness will only get worse.
Have you been saved a long time already ?…… do not settle down contentedly (because we are not in heaven yet)….. we have been saved with a purpose to be a blessing to others… this is God’s desire for us because we are His messengers here on earth….. right where you are now God can use you… and you owe it to Him to make yourself available for His service.
Please write me if you need prayer or guidance…. I know what it is like to be lost in sin…. even after deliverance and salvation comes into a person’s life, it is not the end… it is only the beginning….. I had someone to pray for me in my hour of need and nobody lives or dies in isolation…. God uses us to help each other because that is part of His plan…… you can find me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +12462304818