Today we have churches that deny the working of the Holy Spirit in POWER…. we have churches that baptize babies…. we have churches with a “holy area” and with an altar, accompanied by liturgy and ritual and a “priesthood”.
What a mixup… How did all this come about ?…. and why does it still persist ?
Here are a few ideas:
1. Denial of POWER – humans fear the supernatural (even though they are attracted to it) because it is UNPREDICATABLE…. there are only two kinds of churches where supernatural occurs, those that are deceived by demons (with manifest “evil fruit”) and those that are truly dedicated to GOD (but this calls for serious and LIFE CHANGING commitment from members)…. so how much easier it is to avoid supernatural altogether and have a nice, predictable “religion” that makes people feel good about themselves spiritually and without too much commitment in their daily lives.
2. Baptizing of babies – a human attempt to “claim them for God” before they get old enough to make a choice… the advantage here is, that the church gets members (at least on paper)… and when the children grow they consider themselves “Christians” without needing to be “saved”.
3. Ritual, holy areas and altars – comes from ancient temple worship and these “Christians” believe they have REPLACED the nation of Israel as the chosen of God and that they should worship him according to the standards set for that nation… and just like the Scribes and Pharisees they “go through the motions” with no “change of heart” or experience of “salvation”. (Romans 11:25 – 26) shows that God has NOT abandoned Israel and the promises to them.
Here are reasons why these ERRORS persist:
1. Children continue to do (as adults) what they have been taught as children. (Proverbs 22:6)
2. People want to feel “saved, blessed, forgiven” and “right with God”…. while still continuing their daily lives WITHOUT the “cost of discipleship”…. therefore “feel good” religion that does not radically alter their lives is EXACTLY what they WANT. (2 Timothy 4:3 -4)
So why would any “born again” believer whose “eyes have been opened”… and understanding these matters… still continue in these “dead and deceived” churches ???
Incredible as it may seem…. God may actually WANT them there… to HELP OTHERS to “see the light”…. Jesus appeared to Saul who was zealous for Jewish religion and afterward he was just as zealous for the new “Christian way”…. in similar manner, as “enlightened Christians” we should not “write off” or “abandon” those caught up in these “dead” churches…. who better can minister to them, than those in their own congregation who have “found out the truth” ?
While a church “system” may be condemned….. there are “chosen” ones within it’s ranks that God would call even unto Himself…. He needs His people to be active in every place doing His work. (1 Corinthians 9:20)
It behoves everyone to KNOW (by seeking His guidance) that they are in the “right place”…. the place that He wants you to be at that particular time…. to do the things that He wants you to do there.
Prayer for Today:
Loving Heavenly Father, may we be led to those that You wish us to minister unto…. and please show us how to do this for You… in Jesus name… amen.